Found this video about how intel IT converted what was a high volume manafacturing facility to a high performance computing datacenter that now is on the top 500 list. Watch Tom Greenbaum, Data Center Operations Manager for Intel IT, provide a description of this retro-fit and tour of the new facility.
Some key facts highlighted in the video
- avoided several million $ in facility cost avoidance
- landed traditional enterprise environment in raised floor, hot/cold aisle design in one section of facility
- landed HPC environmet on existing concrete slab floor which enabled higher density deployment of servers
- 6M Watt, 10K server capacity (4.7k today)
- room to grow for future to support data center consolidation