Key Insights for Mobile Application Development

Managing the Changing IT Landscape: Mobile Applications for Business

by Chris Peters, member of the IT Center

There’s been a lot of talk lately about app stores in the enterprise. Back in March, I blogged about how app stores are an opportunity for IT to gain tighter control over things like software installations, role-based app delivery, or licensing.

Well, things are moving quickly. Not only are enterprise app stores becoming increasingly common, but IT organizations are stepping up efforts on mobile apps—from development to deployment—and moving the work in-house. A recent CIO Insight article captured the latest from a survey done by Antenna Software.  The bottom line is that time to market is critical, and organizations are bringing the work in-house as “part of a broader need for cost, speed, security, and reusability.”

Insight from Intel IT

A couple weeks ago, I had the opportunity to moderate an Intel® IT Center webinar on mobile app development (52:37). 

John Simpson, enterprise architect and software engineer, and Meghana Rao, technical marketing engineer, talked about the Intel IT framework in terms of use cases, touch, multiplatform app development, and creating an end-to-end developer experience. Intel IT has adopted a strategy to deploy apps using a hybrid combination of native HTML5 and web browser for about 80 percent of its mobile apps, with the other 20 percent via mobile platform and a virtualization approach.

Enterprise Mobile Application Development Strategy Intel IT.JPG

For more insights on Intel IT’s strategy, check out the Building a Mobile Application Development Framework whitepaper, or check out the Intel Developer Zone that Meghana mentioned.

I believe HTML5 provides a critical opportunity for IT organizations to deliver applications across a range of platforms. Where do you stand on mobile application development in your organization?

I invite you to comment below or connect with me or John on Twitter @ADevelopingMind.

Chris
@chris_p_intel
#MobileEnterpriseApps #MobileProductivity #HTML5