The business-intelligence (BI) game is getting tougher for modern businesses. Companies that stay competitive and top-of-mind year after year depend on the quantity, quality, and relevance of their BI. Without effective BI, these companies can’t respond fast enough to shifting IT environments, changing customer needs, and a massive influx of data from multiple sources.
Businesses can’t really look at in-memory analytics as a luxury in today’s aggressive, fast-paced market. To stay in front of their competitors—and even to be considered as viable players in their industries--modern companies need an agile platform that can extract BI as close to real-time as possible.
In addition to agility, you need a BI platform that can deliver speed and performance while lowering total cost of ownership (TCO), and this is accomplished with the right hardware and software combination. The in-memory analytics solutions that come out on top are those backed by strong, dependable hardware. But you can't just stack these real-time analytics solutions on top of any hardware—the software and hardware must be optimized to function as a team and play off of each other's strengths.
Even the Score with Dell, Intel, and SAP
Dell, Intel, and SAP have collaborated on a BI platform that can provide your business with a cost-effective data-center solution that is highly agile, high-performing, and scalable. Running SAP HANA* in data centers built with Dell PowerEdge R930* rack servers and the Intel® Xeon® processor E7 v4 family can help enterprises derive mission-critical BI out of the freshest, most relevant data.
This flexible hardware/software solution blends the native scalability of SAP HANA software with the enhanced processing performance, memory support, and other hardware enhancements of the Intel Xeon processor E7 v4 family to provide your business with accelerated real-time data-analysis capabilities.
New, real-world benchmark tests, conducted by Intel and SAP, substantiated the performance benefits of this technology trio. These tests measured:
- Data latency and load performance
- Throughput speed of moderately complex queries
- Performance of consecutive, highly complex queries
On the Dell PowerEdge R930, the Intel Xeon processor E7 v4 family scored world-record results on four-socket servers, clocking in with a 25-percent faster analysis of 2 billion records than the previous-generation Intel Xeon processor family.1
Your Dream Team
The results are impressive and clear: Intel and Dell hardware with SAP HANA software can help enterprises accommodate massive data sets to derive significant, real-time insights that inform and drive smarter, faster business decisions.
Be sure to read the full report for more on this winning hardware/software combo. Join the #TechTim community on Twitter, and follow me @TimIntel for more on in-memory analytics solutions and other platforms from Intel and its partners.
 Intel. “Turn Real-Time Analytics into Real Business Advantage: Leadership Performance.” June 2016. intel.com/content/www/us/en/benchmarks/server/xeon-e7-v4/xeon-e7-v4-world-record.html.
Software and workloads used in performance tests may have been optimized for performance only on Intel microprocessors. Performance tests, such as SYSmark and MobileMark, are measured using specific computer systems, components, software, operations and functions. Any change to any of those factors may cause the results to vary. You should consult other information and performance tests to assist you in fully evaluating your contemplated purchases, including the performance of that product when combined with other products. For more complete information, visit intel.com/performance.
Configurations: submitted/published results as of June 6, 2016:
- 4-socket Intel Xeon processor E7-8890 v4 family:
- Dell PowerEdge R930 with four Intel Xeon processors E7-8890 v4, 2.20 GHz (96 cores, 192 threads), 1.5 TB memory, running SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11, SAP NetWeaver 7.50, SAP BW-AML, and SAP HANA 1.0. Source: SAP certification number 2016025, http://global.sap.com/solutions/benchmark. Score: 29,557 advanced query navigation steps/hour; 2 billion records.
- 4-socket Intel Xeon processor E7-8890 v3 family:
- Dell PowerEdge R930 with four Intel Xeon processors E7-8890 v3, 2.50 GHz (72 cores, 144 threads), 1.5 TB memory, running SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11, SAP NetWeaver 7.50, SAP BW-AML, and SAP HANA 1.0. Source: SAP certification number 2016019, http://global.sap.com/solutions/benchmark. Score: 23,690 advanced query navigation steps/hour; 2 billion records.
For more information, go to intel.com/performance/datacenter.