I’ve talked in the past about the growth of Connected Care, and how mobile solutions and smart devices can not only support key workflows for healthcare providers, but also enhance patient care. Communication is key to a positive patient experience, and the opportunity to link patients with their caregiver has never been easier.
Reimagining Conference Room Technology
Originally intended as a corporate solution, conference room technology such as Intel Unite has transformed the way we do business by offering a secure, connected meeting space wherever you and your colleagues are and offers a wealth of benefits, including:
- START MEETINGS FASTER
Intel Unite provides a wires-free way to share content and collaborate during online meetings. Meeting participants only have to enter the meeting’s six digit pin code in the Unite application to start sharing their screen and viewing content. This wires-free approach reduces the time that is often wasted at the beginning of meetings looking for different cables and wireless display and collaboration. Data is protected using 256-bit SSL data encryption, while all data traffic remains protected within the corporate network.
- BETTER COLLABORATION
You’re able to collaborate more effectively and create instant ad-hoc virtual collaboration sessions. Aside from sharing your screen you can instantly switch to another participant’s screen, view multiple screens at once, make temporary annotations and share files on the go. The new extended mode feature lets you share your screen and multi-task at the same time. The key benefits for collaborative working include being able to:
- Share only one screen at a time, or view 2-4 screens simultaneously
- Use annotations to draw attention to important information being shared
- Pass files to other participants with a simple drag and drop
- INTEGRATED SETUP AND CONTROL
Getting a meeting up and running can be laborious when there are multiple technologies involved. Intel’s Unite software simplifies the process via integration with the control of existing conference equipment, collaboration software and even the room’s lighting and air-conditioning controls. All the controls are accessible via the simple client software interface, leaving you more time to focus on the meeting and less on the setup.
In essence, it enables better communication between multiple participants and saves precious time – something which I believe can and should be reimagined and applied to a healthcare environment.
Intel Unite in Healthcare
Intel Unite has been popular in healthcare conference rooms for the reasons mentioned above. Teaching institutions in particular find use from Unite’s simplified approach to virtual meetings.
In the near-future we see opportunities for Unite to migrate from the conference room to the patient room to improve patient engagement and care coordination. How might this work? Here’s two possible workflows to illustrate the idea:
- Increasing Patient Engagement: A health worker enters a patient room for a visit. The health worker uses Intel Unite to wirelessly display content from their device onto a large-format monitor in the room. The health worker can be sure that they are connecting to the right monitor because the connection is made using a six-digit pin code that is unique to that patient’s room. The patient is now able to see the content (i.e. X-ray, lab results) and have a more meaningful discussion with the health worker around this content.
- Improving Care Coordination: While talking through the shared content, the patient asks the health worker a specific question that is best answered by a specialist. Instead of having to record the question for later follow up, the health worker uses an AV solution like Skype for business to call a specialist. The health worker shares the six-digit Unite pin code and the specialist is able to use Unite to join the screen in the patient room and see the content that the health worker is sharing. The specialist is able to annotate on the content being shared and provide an answer in real-time.
While these use cases are highly simplified, they show how the use of next-generation collaboration technology can be used to streamline workflows and improve the quality of interaction between patient and provider and between medical team members.
If you’re interested in finding out more about how Intel Unite could support you in a healthcare context please get in touch.
- Putting the Power of Mobile Technology in Patient Care
- The Growth of Connected Care
- Intel Unite — Smart, Secure Conference Room Technology
- Join the discussion @IntelHealth